Our expert guide on choosing the best chair for the nursery will leave you confident enough to make an informed decision.
Notte Fatata Rocking Chair By Savio Firmnino
The Rocking Motion and soothes a crying baby and rocking your crying baby is a natural biological response. Besides, research has shown that babies benefit physiologically and psychologically from the gentle back and forth motion.
The humble rocking chair has evolved over the years from a simple wooden chair to a comfortable upholstered glider chair that gives a soothing rocking motion. Nursing chairs, breastfeeding chairs or the nursery chair come in various styles and designs which means there is something to suit everyone.
In our expert guide to buying a rocking chair for the nursery, we show you the different types of chairs and the benefits of each one so that you will know what to look for while shopping for your nursery.
Unlike choosing other furniture, such as storage, for example, a nursing chair should be tried and tested before committing to it. Remember you will be up at odd hours and will sit in the chair for long periods. Nighttime feeding is hard enough and made worse if done in an uncomfortable chair.
Traditional Rocking Chair
The Traditional Rocking Chair is made from wood and features a rocker which rocks the chair back and forth. They offer the least comfort but does the job of soothing and calming both baby and adult. Many traditional rockers now come with some padding on the seat, which increases the comfort level.
- Takes up little space
- Easy to move, not heavy
- Easy to clean
- Can be transitioned into the living room
- Offers the least amount of comfort
- May mark hard floors
- Restricted movement, does not swivel
Upholstered Rocking Chair
An upgrade from the simple rocking chair, this provides more support than the traditional version. The effect is the same as it soothes and calms the baby.
- Moderate comfort
- Readily available, not made to order
- Usually mass-produced, not much choice of fabric
- May mark floors
- Cannot be transitioned for use in the living room
Upholstered Swivel Glider
The most luxurious, comfortable option for a nursing chair. Popular in the United States but now made in the UK as well, the upholstered swivel glider ticks all the boxes where comfort is concerned.
- Unlimited choice of fabrics to go with nursery interior scheme
- Exceptionally comfortable
- Swivel action offers a 360° range of movement
- Does not mark floors
- Smoothly transition into the living room, making it a good investment
- Higher investment
- Long waiting time because it is made to order
- May not suit tiny nursery rooms
The advantage of trying a nursing chair before you purchase it is obvious. Pregnancy causes the muscles and ligaments to change and your back requires firm support that helps with your posture. A poor posture will have a negative effect on your spine in the long term.
Points to consider:
- Does your back feel supported?
- Are your arms comfortable when placed on the armrest? Choose a chair with a wide, padded armrest.
- Do you have enough room with your breastfeeding pillow?
- Can you get in and out of the chair?
- Is it comfortable for both you and your partner?
We recommend you try as many chairs in shops as you can before making a decision.
We hope this was helpful. Read all our Expert's Guides here.
Questions? Our expert advisers are always ready to help. Call us on +44 203 371 7530 or visit us at our London Showroom.