One of the most important aspects of designing your baby's room is the nursery colour scheme. More than just a detail that's pleasing to the eye, your nursery room colour will determine the emotions that you and your child will experience. Although it would be fabulous to simply choose your favourite colour, you must take other factors into consideration so you don't end up with a room that's unsettling.
Let's begin by understanding the different classes of colour and their effects.
Wow with warm colours in the nursery
Warm colours, as the name suggests, are hues that create a feeling of warmth and energy. Colours like red, orange or yellow which coincidentally are the colours of fire and the sun speak of passion, high-energy and appetite- McDonald's or Burger King, anyone? If used in the nursery colour scheme, it should be done in small doses.
Cool Colours Make a Calm Nursery
Cool colours like blue, green or purple have the opposite effect and create feelings of calmness, relaxation and trust. Corporate companies such as law offices favour these colours as do hospital consulting rooms, for obvious reasons. Blue is a popular choice for baby's rooms but should be combined with white to add to its playfulness or green to warm it up, especially if there is limited natural light in the room.
Neutral nursery colour schemes are those that do not fall into any of the other two categories; they don't give off any emotion. Think creams, greys and beiges. Many parents choose a neutral nursery palette because they either want to keep it gender neutral so it can be used for either a baby boy or girl or, they are reluctant to commit to a particular colour scheme. To make a neutral nursery room effective, remove some of the flatness by adding layers of texture. You can do that through rugs, art and other decorative accessories.
Lighter or Darker Shades in the Nursery Room?
A tint is a term used to describe the lightening of a particular colour. By adding increasing amounts of white to blue, for example, you will end up with a very light shade of blue. Shade refers to the opposite, which is adding black to darken the colour.
It is important to understand this principle because colours behave differently depending on how dark or light it is. A light hue will make the nursery room seem more spacious as it reflects light. A darker shade will present the opposite because it will absorb light. This means you must take the size of your room into account as well as how much natural light the nursery receives. A small room with little natural light will feel claustrophobic as the walls seem to close in on you.
How to combine colours in the nursery
One look at a selection at Pinterest Nursery images will leave you wishing you too had the gift to combine colours that work well together. The good news? It isn't science. Well, there's a science to it but it is not the rocket type. Say hello to the colour wheel, above. The colour wheel shows you how colours relate to each other so you can combine them effortlessly.
Analogous colours are those that lie next to each other on the wheel. An analogous nursery room scheme will create a feeling of harmony and serenity, for example, blue and green.
Colours that lie opposite each other are called complementary colours, for example, lilac and yellow. This creates a vibrant look so it's best to use it in lighter tints.
You can use more than two colours in your nursery room scheme. Choose colours that are evenly spaced out on the colour wheel but avoid bold shades unless it's for a playroom.
How to distribute the colours
It's a good idea for a nursery or child's room to have one main colour, and the others is smaller doses. You don't have to have an equal amount of blue and green, for example. If you are using three colours, choose the main colour for the walls. The second colour can go on the curtains, furniture upholstery and rug. Finally, dot the third colour about as an accent through accessories like art, bed linens and other smaller pieces.
The main colour should ideally go on the walls and the second and third- if you're having more than two, should be applied via the accessories. Avoid the temptation to 'balance' out the colours by splitting the intensity 50/50. Instead about 70% for the walls and the remaining 30% on the rest of the furnishings like window treatments, rug, and wall art.
At The Baby Cot Shop, we believe children are influenced by their environment and every child should grow up in a space that helps them thrive. With our handcrafted baby furniture and carefully selected nursery room accessories, you can create a tranquil and safe space for your little one.